Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Panzerkampfwagen V Ausf A Sdkfz 171 Panther

Here is my latest finished project. The Panther A as marked for the 5th SS Panzer Division in early 1944. This is the Italeri Panther A with zimmerit option. Not the best but it does look like a Panther A. I painted the tank with Model Master enamels.



 

The decals are from Third Group, now out-of-print. I have several of their sets and grab them at shows whenever I see them. I did the weathering process using artist's oil paints for pin-washing and chipping.



I had to source vision blocks for the hull and turret from an old set of Fine Molds that I had. The kit regretfully had nothing to fill the open holes. How were Klaus und kompanie supposed to see?



I used MiG pigments to weather the tracks. I did not want to go for a heavy mud look, just for the residual dirt that accumulates in the track grooves. I simulated the metal contact surfaces with an number 2 graphite pencil.


 I normally use Rustall #1 to simulate rust, but my bottle went M.I.A. So I had to improvise by emulsifying red and orange pastel chalk powders in 91% isopropyl alcohol and painting them on the exhaust stacts and spare track links. I think the attempt came out well.


 So, there you have it. Not the best Panther kit out there, but for what I paid for it (about $15 USD several years ago) it is a nice addition to my tank collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment